Project Description

In accordance with feudal lord Kuroda Nagamasa’s dying demands, Akizuki castle was built in 1623. After that, the castle became the official residence of Akizuki’s feudal lords for successive generations. Akizuki castle is a small, military camp-like castle; the Kuromon Gate that served as the castle’s Otemon (front) Gate is now the gate to Suiyo Shrine, and the rear gate known as Nagayamon is the only structure left standing in its original position.
Source: Fukuoka Prefecture Tourist Association